• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Horror, Godzilla movies and stuff, pizza, horrorpunk, industrial, electro, Zumanity, goth etc etc, Northern Traditions, Asatru, Folk tales, Japanese culture, Reon Kadena, Devil Man - Devilman Lady *grrrr* Mothman and The Flatwoods Monster.

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality
    to be that is - is but one
    manifestation of the essence

Other planes lie beyond the reach
    of normal sense and common roads
    But they are no less real
    than what we see or touch or feel...'

"It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

I thought it would be cool to have a thread that was user friendly to people who maybe totally new to the field of investigation and maybe can't afford a ton of expensive scientific equipment. I thought this would also be a good thread to post peoples own investigative approaches, like what to do, what not to do, what seems to work well etc.. . So what would an amateur ghost hunter take on their first vigil?. . I open the floor!. . Gigan
Metallic whine, amidst the pines,. Novembers' falling and the Fall is bringing something with it... {C}{C}{C}{C}. Posted Image. {C}{C}"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"{C}{C}. . {C}{C}{C}{C}Beware of the 'lie' in 'Believe'...

#2 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Horror, Godzilla movies and stuff, pizza, horrorpunk, industrial, electro, Zumanity, goth etc etc, Northern Traditions, Asatru, Folk tales, Japanese culture, Reon Kadena, Devil Man - Devilman Lady *grrrr* Mothman and The Flatwoods Monster.

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

OK, I will get the ball rolling. Ghost hunting on a budget? try this for starters:. . Disposible camera. thermometers (preferably more than one). tape recorder. video camera (at least one person in the family usually has one, borrow it! lol). notebook and pen/pencil. something to eat or drink, depending on how long your vigil is. . I think this is a good starter, and aside from the disposible camera, everything else can usually be borrowed from friends or family members.. . Also, make sure you do your research, find out where the 'hotspots' are, maybe even go to your location a few days before to look around, get your bearings, make notes as to any hazards, interesting features, general layout etc. Maybe even ask a few locals about whether they know about anything.. . Important note: ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION! don't just assume that your presence will be welcome by the living, let alone the dead. If you need to go on private property of any kind, always ask. You will find that most people are very accommodating, as long as you're not being a nuisance and you clear up after yourself :P. . Also, as an aside, always dress appropriately, especially if doing an all-nighter, the temperature can change quickly, and you dont want to be freezing your proverbials off.... . I always recommended taking at least one other person, not too many people mind you, as that can detract from the situation at hand. Not only does it help to verify anything that may happen, but also you have help if there is an accident etc etc etc.. . Good for a start???. . Gigan B) . B)
Metallic whine, amidst the pines,. Novembers' falling and the Fall is bringing something with it... {C}{C}{C}{C}. Posted Image. {C}{C}"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"{C}{C}. . {C}{C}{C}{C}Beware of the 'lie' in 'Believe'...

#3 Crosis

Crosis

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

If your doing it on the cheap i would take a baking tray some flour and a bag of marbles for setting up trigger objects or for dusting things that have been known to move.. A4 paper so you can draw round things for triggers too.. . First aid kit and someone who knows how to use it.. . Just remember to note everything that happens no matter how small the event. . . Also make sure all present refrain from covering themselves in aftershave/perfume as odd smells can often be found in "Haunted" locations. . . There are some more things but i cant think of them at the moment. The problem is that i take a hell of a lot of stuff with me on investigations that its been a while since i did one bareback as it where :P
The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?.Edgar Alan Poe

#4 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:11 PM

nice one, excellent suggestions Crosis! :P

#5 Crosis

Crosis

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

oh yes if you want to go down the spiritual avenue (not for me personally) you could try automatic writing and if you take a mirror you could spook yourself trying a bit of Transfiguration. not that i would recomend it unless you very stable mentaly and you know what your doing. most of the phenomena that can be caught using these methods can be explained quite easily though.. . We have even tried putting taped up cardboard boxes in a location with an old chalkboard and chalk inside just to see if anything happens.. . Use your imagination but it has to be fully documented.. . Going back to gigans post audio and video are really a must on any investigation, do your best to get your hands on any form of media recorders you can but stay away from mobile phone cameras for two reasons.. . The first is that the quality is still quite rubbish at night and the second is that mobiles should be carried but OFF during investigations. They can interfere with equipment both analogue and digital and noone wants to have a heart attack in a dark cellar beceause someones phone went off during a vigil.
The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?.Edgar Alan Poe

#6 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:37 PM

They can interfere with equipment both analogue and digital and noone wants to have a heart attack in a dark cellar beceause someones phone went off during a vigil.

.Fantastic!, could'nt have said it better! :P

#7 Caeser

Caeser

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

I've been interested in ghosts for awhile now, I've been asked to join many groups, even a T.A.P.S famaly member group. I think the best thing to do is research, research on hauntings and common things that people think are hauntings that are not. but learning is key. being sceptical but open minded is also very important.
All About Mysteries .Profiling the Unexplained.All About Ghosts should be ready soon....In Search of Ghosts

#8 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:09 AM

indeed, a healthy slice of scepticism is a good thing, after all we need to approach the subject with a somewhat scientific angle!

#9 Caeser

Caeser

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:13 AM

LOL that would be tuff, you see many of the topics involved in the paranormal I belive would involve a new scientific method.
All About Mysteries .Profiling the Unexplained.All About Ghosts should be ready soon....In Search of Ghosts

#10 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

Learn as much as possible. Go to websites and read what others are doing or thinking. You can look at any book list and find some good books to read. . Practice good protocol and standards when you are ghost hunting. You always want to make sure that your investigations are as flawless as possible. Document everything. . Get some equipment and make sure it works before you head out. You only need the most basic of things: . a 35 mm camera with 400 speed film . a flashlight with fresh extra batteries . a notebook with a pen . Find places that are near you to investigate. Most areas have haunted places. Check cemeteries, old buildings, and old homes only with permission. Remember: NO TRESPASSING! Always get permission before going onto private property. . from friends who haunts the the haunted place :D

#11 Caeser

Caeser

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

Great points, darkknight. also respect the dead, always remember that your the guest and never take things home with you.

#12 Crosis

Crosis

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

also respect the dead, always remember that your the guest and never take things home with you.

.Not just respect for the dead. respect for property it owner, and other people in your group. I have had dealings with groups who have no respect for anything and quite frankly they disgust me..They also give other groups a bad name...oh yes and no drinking at all before investigations. thats just stupid and it can get messy.

#13 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

caeser and crosis....well said. :mellow:. Keep a clear head. This means no alcohol consumption or use of any controlled dangerous substances. . No smoking. The possibility of it being photographed and mistaken for ectoplasm is high. In addition, if you're too busy inhaling that acrid tobacco smoke, your nose is dead to any paranormal smells you might encounter. . Don't trespass. Always have permission to conduct an investigation. . Don't jump to conclusions. You always want to make sure you consider all possible explanations, natural or otherwise. . Be open-minded. If you think there are no ghosts, then obviously for you, there won't be. Skeptics bring negative energy that could compromise an investigation.

#14 StarDust

StarDust

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

We have even tried putting taped up cardboard boxes in a location with an old chalkboard and chalk inside just to see if anything happens.

.I never though of trying that^ :mellow:
I always look on the brighter side of death...The ghost i've seen is the ghost within me.

#15 Pyxis

Pyxis

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

These are going to come in handy for me since I've agreed to start recording some of the stuff that's happening at my place. Thanks guys. One thing though. What's with the chalk board in the box? Some form of automatic writing?

#16 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

:lol: ... gotta ask Crosis. still it takes bit of common sense about all.

#17 Pyxis

Pyxis

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, I figure it's some way for them to communicate without being observed or something.

#18 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

ghost dont like to communicate.. :lol:

#19 Pyxis

Pyxis

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

We shall see......... :lol:

#20 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

interesting...the same can be said of those ghost hunters...still no sign of any communication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users