25 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

This is the best one I have seen to date. It pre dates any kind of photshop, would be very hard to stage something like that without everyone noticing, and the man you can see, the 'ghost', died beforehand..Seems like the closest thing to the real deal..Unless anyone can spot any problems with it.....Posted Image
Forum Boy/Doctor F..IPB Image

#2 Saru

Saru

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

That photograph has always impressed me, I've never heard anyone convincingly debunk it. It could be some kind of double exposure - but then why would it only have done it one specific place like that ?. . If it was a photographic anomaly, you'd expect it to appear all over the picture.

#3 Undrallio

Undrallio

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

I've always loved this picture, I agree with you on the seems on "closest to the real deal".. . I just dont know about that face in the background it just dosnt seem right almost, like it just dosnt fit, you know?

#4 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Also, to argue against double exposure, the man behind the definite man looks nothing like him.. He was identified as the deceased officer.. Very weird.

#5 darkknight

darkknight

Destroyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

photographic anomaly....possible.

#6 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

Here are some facts about the photo.....

This intriguing photo, taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. (Click the photo at left to see the entire photograph.) An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo...Interesting side note: In 1935, Sir Victor Goddard, now a Wing Commander, had another brush with the unexplained. While on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he encountered a strange storm that seemed to transport him through time into the future. You can read more about his experience in the article "Time Travelers" under the section "Flight Into the Future."

.Source..

In 1975 a retired R.A.F. officer, Sir Victor Goddard, published a description of a photograph that stood on his desk. It was meant to show the members of his squadron who survived World War I. However, it included the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic, whose funeral had taken place on the day the photograph was taken; he had been killed by an aircraft propeller two days earlier. Sir Victor suggested that maybe Jackson was unaware of his death and so turned up for the photograph. Others have suggested that the face is actually no more than a blemish on the film, which bears and uncanny resemblance to the dead manís face..Freddy Jackson.This intriguing photo, taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. (Click the photo at left to see the entire photograph.) An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.

.Source

#7 Welsh Shaun

Welsh Shaun

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Its a good one. You cant say he is in the background behind them all, because the size of his head is in proportion to everyone else's.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.". - Mark Twain ..."The important thing is not to stop questioning.". - Albert Einstein

#8 JFS

JFS

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:If you must know, I'm an Ex-Chef, I play guitar and I write. I listen to music of the Industrial variety, I also enjoy Classic Rock. I like watching Horror movies and I love cooking, but I hate cooking for old people!!! Bill Hicks is my hero. I am an Atheist who is constantly learning new things. I admit I don't know everything, but I strive to. Oh, and my favorite color is red, but my car is blue : )

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Yeah,I like that picture as well. It's pretty spooky. One of the few cases that I can't even begin to explain.
The meaning of life is in the water that sustains it.Constantly shifting in shape and direction.This is love in its purest form and we are its creation..----------------------------------------.Thanks for my avatar, Darkknight.

#9 StarDust

StarDust

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

I think this one is real i cannot see thing wrong with it at all.
I always look on the brighter side of death...The ghost i've seen is the ghost within me.

#10 {MoG} Blue Screen of Death

{MoG} Blue Screen of Death

Killing windows since the beginning of time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and Making Signatures along with paintball and swimming. and playing the Wii and going on GM of course<br /><br /><br />SPAM Killer since the almighty Gigan inspired me!!

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

This is the best one I have seen to date. It pre dates any kind of photshop, would be very hard to stage something like that without everyone noticing, and the man you can see, the 'ghost', died beforehand..Seems like the closest thing to the real deal..Unless anyone can spot any problems with it.....Posted Image

.Hey guys if u look closly engough u can see more than one it might just be a piece of wood ( not the ghost that is defenetly real :) ) that im seeing does anyone else see'm ;)
Founder of the GM Signature Thread Click here to get your Siggy done.

#11 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

I think I see what you mean, but I don't think it is linked to the paranormal (possibly) the thing that can be obviously seen.

#12 RogueActOfVengence

RogueActOfVengence

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

I have always loved this pic too, and the only issue i can see with it is that in the full size image, you can barely even see anything behind the person.. . Only when the image is blown up and indicates what you should be looking at do you really see anything of a second face. As this pic was taken before PSP etc etc and photo quality and technology was poor then, i do wonder how it was blown up to that extent with that great deal of quality.. . If you compare the blown up pic and the actual pic (to me anyway) it looks like it could be anything, in the main picture it doesnt look like a face to me. so i dont know why they would blow it up to that extent, which at the time would take alot of time (correct?) . . I do find it hard to think that anyone would see the face in the image and goto all that trouble (unless the real picture is far larger and shows alot more detail than the one we can see here) To me the face in the back doesnt show up enough to warrent further investagation, however when it is blown up...it does. But you wouldnt blow it up..until you knew you would see the face there.....confusing arent i? :huh: . . I do really hope this picture is real. and the only explanation i can come up with is that because the war had ended (i assume this was taken at the end of the war.... does anyone have a exact date for this pic?) Since the man lived thru the war..and died in a tragic accident..they wanted him to be seen as part of the unit. To honor his memory as part of the squardron.. . Also i would say that the picture would have to be manipulated by some form of graphics software to clean up the flare on the man in the foregrounds face. In the main pic his face is mostly flared up...you can barely see his left side of his lips, or anything other then a white blur as his left ear, and yet when it is blown up..you can clearly see a great deal of good detail. As this photo was taken 80+ years ago...the detail wouldnt be there to be enlarged (or am i wrong?) . . Again i would love to see this photo proved real but i am trying to be logical about it, and it would be logical to me that the other men would be distressed that he didnt make it, particualry since he died in a accident and not from enemy fire, that he would be snuck in to the pic somehow. Dont know how they did that mind you!. . :(

#13 Elfstone

Elfstone

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:17 AM

Also i would say that the picture would have to be manipulated by some form of graphics software to clean up the flare on the man in the foregrounds face. In the main pic his face is mostly flared up...you can barely see his left side of his lips, or anything other then a white blur as his left ear, and yet when it is blown up..you can clearly see a great deal of good detail. As this photo was taken 80+ years ago...the detail wouldnt be there to be enlarged (or am i wrong?)

.I think that would depend on the type of camera used and the size of the original negative. I believe that the cameras in use in 1919 still used individual plates that unwrapped under a hood and inserted into the camera, then exposed for a length of time. If the negative plate was large enough and the picture was high quality enough, I'd imagine there'd have been a fair amount of detail, even if it didn't show up in smaller prints made from the negative...This is just a guess. I don't know nearly as much about photography as I'd like to for this purpose. :angry:

#14 Welsh Shaun

Welsh Shaun

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:17 PM

Can anyone determine whether he is wearing a hat, I'm trying to see if he is perhaps any where else in the photo.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.". - Mark Twain ..."The important thing is not to stop questioning.". - Albert Einstein

#15 {MoG} Blue Screen of Death

{MoG} Blue Screen of Death

Killing windows since the beginning of time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and Making Signatures along with paintball and swimming. and playing the Wii and going on GM of course<br /><br /><br />SPAM Killer since the almighty Gigan inspired me!!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

Can anyone determine whether he is wearing a hat, I'm trying to see if he is perhaps any where else in the photo.

.Yeah i think hes wearing a pilot hat but it could be his ear :unsure:
Founder of the GM Signature Thread Click here to get your Siggy done.

#16 RogueActOfVengence

RogueActOfVengence

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

I dont think he is wearing a hat, at not one that looks like what the other men are wearing. But it is so dark back there he easily could be. As is my understanding only half of his face is showing because the other half was mangled in the accident..so i assume his hat would also have been destroyed...so im guessing he wouldnt have a hat on in this pic.. . Had a thought, does anyone know who the guy is that is standing infront of him?...and were they friends?.....was he that pilots mechanic for example? Anyone know why the "ghost" would stand there?

#17 cryinbrian

cryinbrian

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, writing music, playing guitar &amp; harmonica, singing, dancing, being romantic, listening to a beautiful woman laugh, rock climbing/rappeling, and most of all, finding the spookiest place to spend the night.<br />

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

I gotta tell ya, peeking ghosts freak me totally out. There's a pic in the photograph forum of a peeking face from around a corner, then the person took a pic around the corner - nothing there. I love the peeking pics! So creepy. This is a very original photo. One of the best. I agree with it's authenticity.
There you have it...my 2 cents.

#18 cryinbrian

cryinbrian

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, writing music, playing guitar &amp; harmonica, singing, dancing, being romantic, listening to a beautiful woman laugh, rock climbing/rappeling, and most of all, finding the spookiest place to spend the night.<br />

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Can you imagine the shock of the photographer when he printed the picture? I can just imagine he said,"Who the hell is that? He wasn't there when I took it!" I just love this pic.

#19 fantailmoon

fantailmoon

Ghost Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts
  • Interests:anything odd and weird..lol

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

it is a good pic and i am glad there is one that cannot be so easily debunked, also it is taken with a much older camera which is interesting as we seem to only get orbs now on digital camera, not saying they are paranormal. Fee x
Posted Image

#20 cryinbrian

cryinbrian

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

I'll bet the dude he's standing behind freaked when he saw this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users