17 replies to this topic

#1 xiaoecho

xiaoecho

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

On the vast majority of paranormal investigation shows, psychics and investigators always do their thing in the dark. The viewer usually sees the investigation via night vision camera. Why? If there are fluctuations in the magnetic field or changes in temperature, won't they still be there in the light? Same goes for all the equipment used. Is there a paranormal investigator out there who can explain the value of darkness :dontgetit: ....or it just better television?

#2 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Horror, Godzilla movies and stuff, pizza, horrorpunk, industrial, electro, Zumanity, goth etc etc, Northern Traditions, Asatru, Folk tales, Japanese culture, Reon Kadena, Devil Man - Devilman Lady *grrrr* Mothman and The Flatwoods Monster.

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality
    to be that is - is but one
    manifestation of the essence

Other planes lie beyond the reach
    of normal sense and common roads
    But they are no less real
    than what we see or touch or feel...'

"It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

On the vast majority of paranormal investigation shows, psychics and investigators always do their thing in the dark. The viewer usually sees the investigation via night vision camera. Why? If there are fluctuations in the magnetic field or changes in temperature, won't they still be there in the light? Same goes for all the equipment used. Is there a paranormal investigator out there who can explain the value of darkness :) ....or it just better television?

.I think its more to do with a> it gives the show more atmosphere and mainly b> it heightens the senses by doing this, it makes your sense of smell, and hearing (and to a degree, your sight) work harder. Granted they could do it in the day (who said ghosts only come out at night?) but it probably wouldn't be as exciting, right?..Nice avatar, btw :P glow in the dark cats are cool loL!
Metallic whine, amidst the pines,. Novembers' falling and the Fall is bringing something with it... {C}{C}{C}{C}. Posted Image. {C}{C}"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"{C}{C}. . {C}{C}{C}{C}Beware of the 'lie' in 'Believe'...

#3 lordstanley

lordstanley

Ghostly Presence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:“One kills a man, one is an assassin; one kills millions, one is a conqueror; one kills everybody, one is a god”<br />Jean Rostand quotes (French Historian and Biologist, 1894-1977)<br />

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

I just think that you get freaked out more! Who want's to be in a dark room all. by yourself with a spirit?? ME! lol Happy Ghost Hunting
linked-sig-image

#4 chrisfer

chrisfer

Ghostly Presence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Ha!! what I cant see cant scare me!!! Those daytime events freak me out more!!! :wub:

#5 xiaoecho

xiaoecho

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thank Guys.....just as I thought :D

#6 Ghost Investigator

Ghost Investigator

Knight of Remembrance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts and all things paranormal, coin collecting, metal detecting, motorcycle riding, crystals, ascension, past lives, astral travel and so much more

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:17 AM

I agree on some things they said but not all. . . As a ghost hunter, I've done it in the day and night. You are correct, during the day you will get the same fluctuations as you would at night. I've heard things during the day same as night. But I RARELY see things during the day. The darkness helps to see and record anomolies that would be next to impossible to see during the day. . . You've seen the shows where orbs and apparitions appear at night and you've noticed that even at night time, they're hard to see because of their make up. they're hard to see because of their undefined shape or level of transparency. Imagine trying to see that same thing in daylight conditions. it would be next to impossible to notice in bright light.

#7 Corvis

Corvis

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

I would add that using infrared tech is not as easy to work with in daylight. The less sources of light, the better when working with it.
linked-sig-image

#8 Curious

Curious

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything paranormal or cryptid. I love horror movies and books.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

I agree. With the lights off, your attention is primarily focused on obtaining evidence because there is less to distract you.
A word to the wise isn't necessary, it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

#9 xiaoecho

xiaoecho

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Thanx GI Corvis and Curious.......so, let me get this straight. For the technology (the instruments) it makes no difference, as one would expect. But as for subjective perception of phenomena, darkness helps to sharpen your (and the viewers) senses. . . That makes sense

Edited by xiaoecho, 08 December 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#10 Ghost Investigator

Ghost Investigator

Knight of Remembrance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts and all things paranormal, coin collecting, metal detecting, motorcycle riding, crystals, ascension, past lives, astral travel and so much more

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

that could stand to be true. to lose one sense (sight in this case) other senses can be hightened (hearing, smell etc). . . We all know blind people have hightened senses to compensate for the loss of vision. Artificial loss of vision, or loss of any other sense, could lead to hightened senses as well.. . I know when I'm in dark places ghost hunting I am consciously using my sense of hearing to try to pick up on things. Even in daylight I'll close my eyes to listen better. sounds funny I know but it works. Kind of like when you're driving in an unfamiliar place with the radio on in your car. As the destination approaches, the driver will often turn down the radio so he/she can concentrate (look around...see) better. what does music have to do with being able to look around? Kinda strange huh? . . :w00t:

#11 Hatch

Hatch

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

I've had more experiences during the day but when they have happened at night it scares me more. Infared would not work during the day, not sure why you would need it then. Does it pick up something that our eyes don't?

#12 Parachaser

Parachaser

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

On the vast majority of paranormal investigation shows, psychics and investigators always do their thing in the dark. The viewer usually sees the investigation via night vision camera. Why? If there are fluctuations in the magnetic field or changes in temperature, won't they still be there in the light? Same goes for all the equipment used. Is there a paranormal investigator out there who can explain the value of darkness :santa: ....or it just better television?

Many investigate at night due to the fact that there are less people out and about making noise because they are asleep (talking, traffic noise and such) this way less possibility for contaminated evidence. Oh and it's creepy! http://www.parachasers.com

#13 TNSpirits

TNSpirits

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Many investigate at night due to the fact that there are less people out and about making noise because they are asleep (talking, traffic noise and such) this way less possibility for contaminated evidence. Oh and it's creepy! http://www.parachasers.com

This is correct, most human activities are lessend at night. G.I. made a good point aswell, you are not using all your senses therefore your senses are heightend.

#14 Greygoat

Greygoat

Chupa Supper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

I wonder if EM detectors might work better in the dark of night also. Bright sunlight and electric lighting could both cause magnetic fields that would complicate the detection of paranormal phenomena.
linked-sig-image

#15 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Well, for my opinion, I have a couple of things to say about the reasons for conducting investigations in the dark. In the dark, people have heightened sences which allows people to make out things more clearly. Its not as if they don't have light, most investiagtors have a small light of some sort with them. I have to agree with Parachaser, night is the best time to investigate, less evidence contamination. For equiptment, its a ton better. EMFs are lower with lights out and its easier to find paranormal emfs within an area. Thermal cams will pick up every heat signature from the lights and might cause contamination.. . In the light, i find things to be not so interesting. For example, when the guys from Paranormal State(fyi, i do not like PS. Its bland and annoying to watch, not to mention that most things that happen are fake. its like the american version of Most Haunted which i also dislike) do an investigation in the day, they don't catch as much evidence in a location that could be potentially haunted as they would during the night.. . I did have ghostly occurances in the daytime and fully support that fact, but night does seem to be the ticket during paranormal investigations.

Hades."Never underestimate the power of the paranormal"

#16 Demon Hunters Inc.

Demon Hunters Inc.

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

TAPS: "There are two main types of spirits, those that emit light, and those who don't, the only way to catch both is to kill the lights and go infrared!"

#17 MyChaoticPeace

MyChaoticPeace

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I like and enjoy a lot of things... It's hard to pick a couple... <br />Reading, Writing, Poetry, Hiking, Roller Blading, Ice Skating, Drawing, music :), singing, keeping up on BigFoot research cause yes I'm interested to know if he is real or not... The Paranormal...

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

TAPS: "There are two main types of spirits, those that emit light, and those who don't, the only way to catch both is to kill the lights and go infrared!"

.Exactly. ;)
MyChaoticPeace.Life truely has no end. Death truely has no begining. If you are you, you are alive for you exist. Do not fear that which can not truly be.

#18 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

I agree, but frankly infrared is new tech for the Ghost Hunters but suprisingly its quite effective. Some of the evidence theyve turned up is quite interesting.

Hades."Never underestimate the power of the paranormal"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users