23 replies to this topic

#1 versidus

versidus

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

Here it is people my long rant of "Paranormal State" oh where to start where to start?. I know lets start with the leader of the group Ryan Buell. In one of the on demand special that introduces the group members Ryan Buell states he is a expert in the field of paranormal research. This is not true he is no expert in the field. What he is is a "Self proclaimed expert" in the paranormal. To be a expert in a field you first need to have special skill or knowledge and authority in some particular field NEW innovative findings or have substantial influence on the field. This kid has not done any thing new or innovative. I have read I crap load of book's on the paranormal and been in a quit a few paranormal research groups as well as fallowed other paranormal researchers and their log journals parers etc... and I would not call my self a "expert" but if knowledge is all you need to be a expert well then every person on this web site or that has watched one tv show on the paranormal is a expert! I would only say i have a good knowledge base in the paranormal . . . And I'm going to now use all of my talents to rip this show a new one! Ok Ryan stop with all the "ooooo the devil is fallowing me" crap. I love how he never says the name but coincidently a psychic writes it down on a piece of paper and wow it's the same OMG! I don't think so dude If a demon had beef with you, you wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. And a demon would never I mean NEVER tell you his name if you have ever done a little bit of reading you would know that if you know the demon's name you can control the demon. Or get rid of him. Man Ryan I think you like drama more then you like sex or breathing. Also They have a occult member performing rituals in the show. wow how unscientific is that. magic is a unproven practice in the world of science and if you are going to be a paranormal researchers you really need to be scientific. That is what the field is all about. the point is to validate the evidence gathered to further the legitimacy of the paranormal field. You know out of fantasy in to reality.. . I must say I do like watching the show it's just so BAD like a Troma film. Its like watching a donkey show it so horrible you can't take your eye's off it (I would like to thank Kevin smith for that analogue!) the only show it's really competing with is Most haunted for the most fictional reality based paranormal research show. There is on debunking in the show they don't even try to debunk any thing! Oh I love their equipment oooo Fancie stuff I really like the Walmart special motion detectors and how Ryan says "we calibrated them" lol you can't calibrated them. lol By calibrated he mean positioning them. Give me a brake I dont think this show is going to last to long at all. It's a "slap in the face" to real paranormal researchers. If any of you are really interested in a good paranormal researchers show and most of you know ghost hunters on Scifi is a much better show. I must say I did like the first episode of Paranormal State it lead me to believe the show was going to be good. They did good research in proving the little kid was seeing dead people. Sad to say that was all the good research they had done so far.. . And what is with the Directors log! MORE DRAMA!!!! I think the14u2cee said it best "Directors log, date unknown: The Demon is again following me, today we have George Bush and Osama bin Laden looking for EVP"s at the White House with special guest Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton investigating the white man....". its like a bad Star trak rip off. And what is with Kelly dating Dillon ops! Wrong show with all the drama I get them a little mixed up. If I had more time I would love to stay up and rail on the show longer but it is late now. So my final thought is with shows like that on the air it only hurts the validity of the paranormal research field. If people just go around believing any old thing the field will aways have shadow's of doubt's on it and will never be taken serious. . . I'm The spectacular Fred man and that is my opinion.

#2 babymomma1382

babymomma1382

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree with most of your statements. I don't like how they don't try to debunk anything, just use religion constantly. Religion is a huge part of many people's lives, but they aren't getting to the root of the problem. They simply bless the house, and be on their merry way. . I really loved the recent episode where the were investigating the filthy house, where they told the woman to clean it up, and it would help solve some of her problems, lol. But the best was when the husband was "possessed" by the demon. Great exorcism. He was feeling hot! There was no demon in him!. Like you said, I think the show is pretty crappy, but I'll hold out some hope, and keep watching it.

Edited by babymomma1382, 21 December 2007 - 12:45 PM.

#3 Ghost Investigator

Ghost Investigator

Knight of Remembrance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts and all things paranormal, coin collecting, metal detecting, motorcycle riding, crystals, ascension, past lives, astral travel and so much more

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

I think the show is a total waste of time. I was highly disapointed when I saw the first 2 episodes. I was soooo looking forward to it. . . His whole lead in with the "warrior" thing...hahaha...please. And then "dead time". what a stupid name for a freakin seance. What were the writers thinking of with this one...or are the students that corny. . . the voice overs as he tells us whats going on reminded me of video game voice overs. Tryin to add to the..mystique I guess of the whole thing. . . Then they say thery're going to contact whoever...the "inevitable meeting" with the ghost(s). I dunno about taht...as a ghost hunter, I go out thinking i probably WILL NOT find anything but hope I do experience something. how the heck do they know they'll have an inevitable meeting? . . then the religious tie in mentioned before. ghosts/spirts have nothing to do with religion, one doesnt depend on the other. that in itself turned me off...watching them do some prayer and cross themselves before they went in the houses....rediculous.

#4 vols1118

vols1118

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

I think the show is one big fake. Although the Warrens have made a couple of appearances, I find the show is kind of corny. If these kids on paranormal state keep messing around, one day they will have a real demon to deal with.

#5 Morganio

Morganio

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

I have to agree. Paranormal State seems very scripted, and they never actually come up with any evidence. The show actually admits to trying to plan when they are going to have their "Ah-hah moments". Plus, although I don't if I could say religion has nothing to do with the paranormal, it is certainly not the only way to deal with it. What are they going to do when atheists come to them for help...

#6 Mystikchick

Mystikchick

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

amen, ps is horrible!

#7 bluemoon

bluemoon

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:the Earth, glaciers, fossils, rocks, music, tv, lattes, and having fun

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

I'll admit, I do enjoy the show and still watch it. However, I have had my doubts. What stands out to me is the spirit always does what it is asked. During dead time, if the ghost doesn't respond right away, they'll say "If you want you can knock on that door over there." And oddly enough, there's a knock on the door. I feel like I would believe it more if it didn't follow such a formula, because as many of you have said, how common is it to find a ghost whenever you're looking for it?
"It's up to us to be the change.And even though we all can still do more.There's so much to be thankful for."

#8 Eternal Light

Eternal Light

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

the only show it's really competing with is Most haunted

.Oh well then, in that case, having never seen the programe I haven't missed anything interesting or plausible, 'cos Most Haunted is about as plausibe as the concept of Sylvia Browne being a medium!..Thanks for the tip off versidus! :blush:
You can get straight A's, but still flunk life.
Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.

#9 Skatha

Skatha

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, classic cartoons, cinema, theatre, computers, traveling, paganism...

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

I had never seen the programme until two or three months ago. There was not much on (Saturday or Sunday) and I was channel surfing when I encountered an episode so I thought I'd give it a watch. In this particular episode, the woman of the house was so convinced something evil was in her house that she was on the verge of moving out. The kids went in and did their thing and found nothing. They shared this with the couple and left. Next thing they show is the woman calling Ryan about another "attack" and by the time he arrived an ambulance was there. The team did a second investigation, this time, bringing someone who tested the gas lines, electrical lines, etc. and found out that's what was causing it. So, they don't always point to ghosts or demons as the answer.
Pas a pas, se va lučnh.

#10 lisavclarson

lisavclarson

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

I had never seen the programme until two or three months ago. There was not much on (Saturday or Sunday) and I was channel surfing when I encountered an episode so I thought I'd give it a watch. In this particular episode, the woman of the house was so convinced something evil was in her house that she was on the verge of moving out. The kids went in and did their thing and found nothing. They shared this with the couple and left. Next thing they show is the woman calling Ryan about another "attack" and by the time he arrived an ambulance was there. The team did a second investigation, this time, bringing someone who tested the gas lines, electrical lines, etc. and found out that's what was causing it. So, they don't always point to ghosts or demons as the answer.

No, they don't always point to ghosts..there was one episode where a lady had recently taken in a roomate...and since his arrival, poltergeist activity started happening. The PS team surmissed that the guy was a vietnam vet who was more than likely having flashbacks and faking paranormal activity (pictures, furniture stacking.) .I will say, however that they find a whole lot more DEMONIC activity than a little bit. That seems a little far-fetched to me..Also: .side note- how come Ghost Hunters never ever runs into bad spirits or demons? And nearly every ghost that PS finds is a "demonic force"?

#11 Skatha

Skatha

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, classic cartoons, cinema, theatre, computers, traveling, paganism...

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

If you meant no disrespect, why did you use the word fruitcake instead of veteran???
Pas a pas, se va lučnh.

#12 lisavclarson

lisavclarson

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

If you meant no disrespect, why did you use the word fruitcake instead of veteran???

Sorry- he was a Vietnam vet with severe mental problems due to the horrible things he endured in Vietnam :tu:

#13 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Horror, Godzilla movies and stuff, pizza, horrorpunk, industrial, electro, Zumanity, goth etc etc, Northern Traditions, Asatru, Folk tales, Japanese culture, Reon Kadena, Devil Man - Devilman Lady *grrrr* Mothman and The Flatwoods Monster.

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality
    to be that is - is but one
    manifestation of the essence

Other planes lie beyond the reach
    of normal sense and common roads
    But they are no less real
    than what we see or touch or feel...'

"It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

No, they don't always point to ghosts..there was one episode where a lady had recently taken in a roomate...and since his arrival, poltergeist activity started happening. The PS team surmissed that the guy was a vietnam vet who was more than likely having flashbacks and faking paranormal activity (pictures, furniture stacking.) .I will say, however that they find a whole lot more DEMONIC activity than a little bit. That seems a little far-fetched to me..Also: .side note- how come Ghost Hunters never ever runs into bad spirits or demons? And nearly every ghost that PS finds is a "demonic force"?

.I believe it's because Paranormal State isn't actually touted as a 'real' show. if you check out the wikipedia description of the show its a 'docu-drama'...Check it
Metallic whine, amidst the pines,. Novembers' falling and the Fall is bringing something with it... {C}{C}{C}{C}. Posted Image. {C}{C}"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"{C}{C}. . {C}{C}{C}{C}Beware of the 'lie' in 'Believe'...

#14 Gigan

Gigan

Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Horror, Godzilla movies and stuff, pizza, horrorpunk, industrial, electro, Zumanity, goth etc etc, Northern Traditions, Asatru, Folk tales, Japanese culture, Reon Kadena, Devil Man - Devilman Lady *grrrr* Mothman and The Flatwoods Monster.

Monsters from Planet X!

'While we may believe
    our world - our reality
    to be that is - is but one
    manifestation of the essence

Other planes lie beyond the reach
    of normal sense and common roads
    But they are no less real
    than what we see or touch or feel...'

"It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

.Its been taken care of, move along people....
Metallic whine, amidst the pines,. Novembers' falling and the Fall is bringing something with it... {C}{C}{C}{C}. Posted Image. {C}{C}"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"{C}{C}. . {C}{C}{C}{C}Beware of the 'lie' in 'Believe'...

#15 lighostchick76

lighostchick76

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

I believe it's because Paranormal State isn't actually touted as a 'real' show. if you check out the wikipedia description of the show its a 'docu-drama'...Check it

.You can't really go by what wikipedia says, it's an unreliable source since any person can edit the entry. And all of those para shows are docu-dramas. By the time the shows get edited in production, they can be made to look any way the producers want. Anything on television is for entertainment purposes only. I say to each their own.

#16 Tragedy Sherbert

Tragedy Sherbert

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Pirates, music, history, the paranormal and cryptozoology.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:10 AM

Not to resurrect an already old thread, but I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not the only person who didn't buy into this show. :/ It's presented in a way that really touches at what people expect real hauntings to be like. All the people are at their wits end, there's a constant use of children in trouble meant to tug at the heartstrings of every person watching. And while I personally believe things like hauntings do happen, the presence of psychics, overuse of religion to make them seem like "Warriors for God." and other rubbish really does get my goat. . . Again thanks for pointing out the show for what it is. It really is refreshing.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” ~Plato

#17 Rune

Rune

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Seeking the truth from the living as well as the dead, history, Shakespearean theater

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Dear Ryan,. . The demon chasing you is your own conscience about rigging a faux paranormal show.. . The religion thing always bothered me because they would tell people to take certain actions based on the crew's beliefs, not the home owners. If someone told me to pray to Archangel Michael for protection, I would say no way since I don't even believe in his existence. If anything, it felt like they were trying to give Catholicism some screen time. As if they needed further connections to exorcisms.. . I can see using a medium or a psychic to get a feel of the house and where to place cameras if it is someone they trusted personally. Using the psychics' experiences as proof is inane. Not to mention the psychics they bring in are questionable at best. I have gotten some very interesting information when doing background research on one of their psychics, Michelle Belanger.. . http://www.ghosttheo...ing-entire-show This is an interesting link that I would like to hear some comments on.

#18 mrnatural

mrnatural

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:23 AM

I get that there are people that disagree with his assertions or how he does things, but the thing I've noticed is that people everywhere have their own way of interpreting their paranormal experiences. There's no real consensus on this, so I tend to give people a little leeway.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one. Posted Image

#19 Rune

Rune

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Seeking the truth from the living as well as the dead, history, Shakespearean theater

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I can accept interpreting experiences differently, but what I can't accept is someone faking his evidence and manipulating the information given. He used a beer can to simulate a cold spot. I have an ax to grind with Chip, the medium he brings in, as well. But that's for another discussion on his show about paranormal children.

#20 Forever Lost

Forever Lost

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

I liked it.:yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users