19 replies to this topic

#1 lizzy pea

lizzy pea

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

I'm completely new to this, but i've had some experiences and i'm looking for some sort of answer/explanation...At my parents house, very randomly (every couple months to once a year or so) we will smell my grandfather's pipe smoke. When it first happened years and years ago my parents were worried by the smoke smell and had someone come check out our wiring in the house, but it was all ok. They both identify this pipe smoke smell as the specific smell of the tabacco my grandfather smoked. (Just for background info my parents don't smoke, so it's not a typical smell for our house.) Is it possible for ghosts to have a smell? He never lived in our house, but maybe he is checking in on us? Anyone else encountered ghostly smells?

#2 Regency

Regency

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

I'm completely new to this, but i've had some experiences and i'm looking for some sort of answer/explanation...At my parents house, very randomly (every couple months to once a year or so) we will smell my grandfather's pipe smoke. When it first happened years and years ago my parents were worried by the smoke smell and had someone come check out our wiring in the house, but it was all ok. They both identify this pipe smoke smell as the specific smell of the tabacco my grandfather smoked. (Just for background info my parents don't smoke, so it's not a typical smell for our house.) Is it possible for ghosts to have a smell? He never lived in our house, but maybe he is checking in on us? Anyone else encountered ghostly smells?

.I've not experienced this myself, but my friend has on several occassions, this was a pipe odour as well. It started shortly after her father passed and she said it was extremely strong and unmistakable.

#3 pucker

pucker

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:God, my wife, bodyboarding and the ocean and all its inhabitants

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

I believe that the ones that go before us, come and visit us with a reminder that they are still here, whether they do so with a distinct smell that brings back their memories, such as cigar smoke or what not.
Common sense isn't so common

#4 Zeus

Zeus

Full Body Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Lizzy pea, I strongly believe in ghosts being able to smell, or produce odor according to what they're doing, one of the most astonishing cases I've heard of, is the case of the dead chef that used to work at the waverly hills asylum, in the fourth floor, you can smell baked bread, although the building's completely torn apart (but still standing) and there's no electricity, or even baking ovens!

#5 lizzy pea

lizzy pea

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

Lizzy pea, I strongly believe in ghosts being able to smell, or produce odor according to what they're doing, one of the most astonishing cases I've heard of, is the case of the dead chef that used to work at the waverly hills asylum, in the fourth floor, you can smell baked bread, although the building's completely torn apart (but still standing) and there's no electricity, or even baking ovens!

.thanks for the responses everyone! the last time this happened was last weekend... my parents were in the living room watching tv and the smell hit the out of no where. it seems to only happen on the first floor of my house and very randomly

#6 Zeus

Zeus

Full Body Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

thanks for the responses everyone! the last time this happened was last weekend... my parents were in the living room watching tv and the smell hit the out of no where. it seems to only happen on the first floor of my house and very randomly

.well if it makes you feel better.. My grandpa does the same.. in the living room.. in the first floor.. he smokes his pipe and produces that "sweet" smoke smell that I don't like cause I got a very sensitive throat (due to allergies), and I hope that if he dies it won't start smelling like that.. although I'm almost sure it'll happen.. he loves his pipes...

#7 wowy

wowy

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

i do beleive it's possible. maybe its that they will do something striking to let you know it's them. whther thats a smell or a book opened to a certain page or a sound depends on what will grab your attention best, or what you are more sensitive to, me I'm very sensitiveo smells, weirdly. . . . If i meet someone i dont quite like its usually because they smell 'funny' its hard to explain. . . . So what do ou guys do when you smell the smoke?
I DO NOT SPELL BAD MY LAPTOP IS KERFUFFERED!

#8 lizzy pea

lizzy pea

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

i do beleive it's possible. maybe its that they will do something striking to let you know it's them. whther thats a smell or a book opened to a certain page or a sound depends on what will grab your attention best, or what you are more sensitive to, me I'm very sensitiveo smells, weirdly. ...If i meet someone i dont quite like its usually because they smell 'funny' its hard to explain. ...So what do ou guys do when you smell the smoke?

.we don't really do anything... just kind of like, 'oh theres grandpa again!'

#9 spiffy

spiffy

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

I very much believe smells can be linked to something paranormal. - In my grandparents old house, you'd every so often smell this TERRIBLE, AWFUL septic tank/sulfur odor, and it would move. It always seemed to be linked to strange, creepy feelings or happenings. There was something awful in that house, something evil, and that's the smell we always associated with it. Very creepy!

#10 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

.Did your grandfather smoke in different rooms or just on specific rooms because I may have an answer if he had is own room. I picked this up when the Ghost Hunters were investigating a historical military base. You see, when there is a large concentration of a smell, sometimes it gets into the paint and traps the smell for a very long time. I bet if you went to the place that your grandfather smoked the most, and smelled the walls, you'll find out that there is a scent of tobacco on the wall, which could give the illsuion of someone was smoking.

Hades."Never underestimate the power of the paranormal"

#11 babymomma1382

babymomma1382

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Great logic, Evanparent! I have never thought of that!

#12 lizzy pea

lizzy pea

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

Did your grandfather smoke in different rooms or just on specific rooms because I may have an answer if he had is own room. I picked this up when the Ghost Hunters were investigating a historical military base. You see, when there is a large concentration of a smell, sometimes it gets into the paint and traps the smell for a very long time. I bet if you went to the place that your grandfather smoked the most, and smelled the walls, you'll find out that there is a scent of tobacco on the wall, which could give the illsuion of someone was smoking.

..my grandfather died before my parents got married and moved into this house, but that wouldve been a great explanation

#13 chrisfer

chrisfer

Ghostly Presence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

I had a neighbor that I did not know well, but he smoked his pipe outside on his porch. He passed away and his kids came (kids were actually old too) and took his wife and moved all the stuff. So one night I am walking home and past this house when, you guessed it, the unmistakable smell of his pipe!! I ran all the way home. I never did smell it again but I never just walked past his house, I ran past it!

#14 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

my grandfather died before my parents got married and moved into this house, but that wouldve been a great explanation

.thankz babymomma..Is it possible that the previous owners of the house smoked?

Edited by EvanParant, 26 October 2007 - 09:38 PM.

#15 Zeus

Zeus

Full Body Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

Did your grandfather smoke in different rooms or just on specific rooms because I may have an answer if he had is own room. I picked this up when the Ghost Hunters were investigating a historical military base. You see, when there is a large concentration of a smell, sometimes it gets into the paint and traps the smell for a very long time. I bet if you went to the place that your grandfather smoked the most, and smelled the walls, you'll find out that there is a scent of tobacco on the wall, which could give the illsuion of someone was smoking.

.This also happens in vehicles were smokers spent their time, I've seen it myself, but we're talking about houses where it smells only sometimes, it couldn't be Smoke attached to a wall, after all, I've seen this happen in Concrete walls in real life =) (Ghost smells)

#16 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:16 AM

ya, i know that only the scent that stays in the wall

#17 Whisper51

Whisper51

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

:huh: . I`ll get the smell of perfume or after shave, depending on which dead relative is stopping by. My dad used to smoke, but I only get his after shave. I say Hi and before long the smell goes away.. . Your grandfather is letting everyone know that he`s thinking of them and he`s checking on them. Nothing to be alarmed about. Next time tell him Hi.. . . Whisper

#18 Hades

Hades

Master of Necromancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:38 PM

I find that I can find sourses of smells easier when I'm chewing some gum, spearmint is the prefered choice. I believe that if you have a concentrated taste in your mouth, the scent will travel up into your nose and get registered by your brain as mint. Any other overpowering scents like smoke or perfume will actually become more identifiable and easier to find the source. I think this method would also be helpful on investiagtions where there are reported scents.

#19 katie

katie

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

..Hey yeah I have experienced something similar I just moved into a new house and for some reason upstairs in my sister and I's room at certian times there is this strong smell that wakes us up and we are HARD sleepers but there is this sweet smell of cinnamon rolls and we go down stairs thinking someone is making them and no one is its super strange lol! I can't explain it at all!

#20 IRNotAmuzed

IRNotAmuzed

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

my grandmother and mother have both experenced this phonominon (ok so i spell bad, very bad!!) and with more than one relitive. there was the smell of great grandpas cologne and great great grandmas perfume. both of which no one in the house used, or uses.....
linked-sig-image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users