Ghost Mysteries uses cookies to give you the best user experience. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X

Photo

Is Modern Day Ghost Hunting & Investigating Disrespectful?

ghost hunting investigating disrespectful

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Still Waters

Still Waters

Poltergeist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

I found this article when searching the web and thought it would make an interesting topic. As far as I'm aware this hasn't been discussed before.

I've never been on a ghost hunt or anything like that, but the lady who wrote this piece makes some interesting points I feel. Anyway here it is, have a read and see what you think.

http://associationof...-disrespectful/

attach0056.jpg

#2 Sir JGP

Sir JGP

Orb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, I love to investigate haunted places and run my own investigation company.
    Love strange mysteries, I analyse photographs of
    so call hauntings and ghosts, feel free to send them to me.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

The author has made some very valid points.

I think a lot of this attitude that the ghost is an enemy come from television shows like Most Haunted and Ghost Hunters etc. One of the main reason I stopped watching Most Haunted was that I felt they lacked the respect that was due to the spirits in the building they were investigating.

Many time the presenter and crew would be swearing and egging on whatever spirit that was present in the property. They have been seen asking for the spirit to hit them, telling the spirit to “come on attack me I’m not afraid of you” and many more. No professional investigator would act in this manner.

I understand that when something physical happens to you on an investigation the natural thing is for you defence system to kick in and self-preservation takes over, however if you are a professional you would not let this take control and you would always show respect. I have been on investigation where things have been thrown or hair has been pulled or even people have been pushed but at all time I have demanded none of the people present ever try to threated or goad a spirit.

#3 Chupa

Chupa

Goat hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,276 posts
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Ghost Adventures is even worse when it comes to purposely peeving entities, than Most Haunted. I steer away from those. I think Ghost Hunters is better in this regard but yes, it's arguable how far we should go in terms of engaging spirits in action. I do hope that paranormal teams conducting investigations without the pressure of media, are more leveled and don't fall into the trap of over-excitement.

I like to think about spirits as "once human, always human", and although they come in all sorts of characters just like us, including sinister, anyone would get frustrated if they were treated with disrespect. My pet peeve is also how people so readily assume the identity of the ghost. The fact that there's been a famous person who lived and died in a particular place, doesn't mean that this is who you're dealing with! If I were a ghost, I'd probably get annoyed with this more than with teasing or being accused of goodness-knows-what.

#4 I'llbeback

I'llbeback

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:30 AM

"Ghost Lab" was notorious for "provoking." I totally agree with all of you. It's common sense that acting that way would be frightening or offensive, and really could ruin the chances of communicating.

#5 Iheartghosts4441

Iheartghosts4441

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Just wanted 2 ask what happens when ghosts have a bath/shower??

#6 Iheartghosts4441

Iheartghosts4441

Ectoplasm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Just wanted 2 ask what happens when ghosts have a bath/shower??

For research

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ghost hunting, investigating, disrespectful

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users