Ghost Mysteries uses cookies to give you the best user experience. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X

Landscape anomaly

Landscape anomaly

Submitted by Jim.This is an unaltered photo. Notice the orange thing near the center of the photo. At >1:1 magnification, it looks (to me) alot like some simple 3d rendered object superimposed on top, but I swear this is completely unaltered. Furthermore, I take close to a quarter of a million digital photos per year, and I've seen alot of digital artifacts--stuck pixels, hot pixels, dark pixels, high ISO noise, overexposure bloom, you name it. But I've never seen something like this. Would be interested to see what you or you guys think of this. BTW, one of the reasons I take so many photos is that I take many pictures of the same scene, and I did for this one too. The frames before and after this (about 1/2 to 1 second apart) show no trace of the orange thing. ..This is the original jpeg off the camera (I shoot jpeg not raw because I take so many photos there wouldn't be enough storage space in RAW). It was taken on 6/21/07 at 12:41 pm, on Highway 121 a few miles north of Infineon Speedway in the north SF bay area, CA. Facing roughly west. 1/800 sec exposure time, 76mm focal length. The lens had a sun hood on it and was nearly perpendicular to the sun (at least as I can tell from the photo and knowing the time), so there was no lens flare (and that's not what lens flare looks like)...I'm out of ideas on what it could be.

Wow, might of just caught a strange anomaly. The object doesn't seem to cast a shadow though. Strange.
    A fire of some sort like camp or brush?
    Honestly, that looks like a dot off sunlight breaking thru the canopy.. I even see a horizontal shade of a branch in it.. The discolouration is due to the fact that the leafs filter the sunlight.. I work as a theatertechnician/lightengineer, so this is sorta my field. of expertise.. I believe this is a natural occurrence and not an anomaly.. . (not that I believe ghosts are an anomaly, but also a natural occurrence... well, you know...)

Honestly, that looks like a dot off sunlight breaking thru the canopy..I even see a horizontal shade of a branch in it..The discolouration is due to the fact that the leafs filter the sunlight..I work as a theatertechnician/lightengineer, so this is sorta my field.of expertise..I believe this is a natural occurrence and not an anomaly...(not that I believe ghosts are an anomaly, but also a natural occurrence... well, you know...)

.What could it have given it the 3D appearence? No shadow is present, makes me wonder if it was something physical.
    What 3d appearance?. . It's not floating, if that's what you mean.. It most definitely, lays with the lay of the land
    Photo
    leeslaughtr
    Jul 31 2007 12:41 PM
    Whatever natural sunlight your looking at I would like to know.The sunlight should be close to the natural exposure you see also under the tree.so again we have a expertise that can explain the light...whatever.
    Photo
    bettercarpenter
    Aug 24 2007 04:12 AM
    A peice of trash reflecting,an animal laying in the shade, heck even I can see the branch in the middle of it, so I agree sunlight shining through the tree.
    I think you caught something here, whatever it is , remains a mystery.. . Neat Pic Though.
    Its a pumpkin =]

i can't tell what it is.