Ghost Mysteries uses cookies to give you the best user experience. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X

Eastern State Penitentiary Ghost Picture

Eastern State Penitentiary Ghost Picture

Me and my family recently took a tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia and of course, took many digital photos. After uploading them to our computer, we noticed a couple of "ghosts" in a few pictures. I assure you these pictures have been left untouched. Totally freaked us out! Tell me what you think. unsure.gif

Photo
    Jameswaterwolf
    Apr 06 2008 06:06 AM
    I see two out-of-towners, must have got a ride with you to this place. They don't blend very well. :rofl:

I see two out-of-towners, must have got a ride with you to this place. They don't blend very well. :rofl:

.I'm not sure I know what you mean by out-of-towners? The figure in question is the man-shaped shadow in the window on the far right behind the stairway. My husband didn't notice the figure when he took the photo.
    Photo
    disintegration
    Apr 07 2008 10:27 AM
    shot through glass....reflection.. . Disintegration
    That's a good pic. Were you on some sort of tour? Is there a doorway behind the stairs or is it a window as on the other side?

shot through glass....reflection...Disintegration

.Maybe you can explain how the "reflection" is behind the stairway on the other side of the plexiglass?

That's a good pic. Were you on some sort of tour? Is there a doorway behind the stairs or is it a window as on the other side?

.Yes, we were on the last tour of the day (and the tour guide was VERY careful not to let anyone stray from the group). It was a window behind the staircase and not a doorway - I'm sure you noticed that the figure is BEHIND the stairway, but I'm uncertain whether it is in front of, or behind the window. At any rate, that portion of the Penitentiary was closed off to all but "special tours" (which is what the signs in the foreground are about) and there would have been no way for a tour member to have gotten into that cell block or outside that window.
    Photo
    Guilty_By_Ignorance
    Apr 08 2008 11:49 PM
    Looks like someone just standing outside, maybe you just didn't notice when the pic was taken.

Looks like someone just standing outside, maybe you just didn't notice when the pic was taken.

.That's certainly a possibility, but as I mentioned before, we were the last tour group of the day and we were with the only tour guide. There were two others working there (in the entrance/visitor's center) - one was a smallish girl and the other was a thin guy at the reception desk. I suppose there could have been others unaccounted for in the entire place, but since it was early Saturday evening, my guess is the staff was anxious to leave work and probably wouldn't have been wandering the prison grounds. ..As a side note, my husband is a devout skeptic and suspicious of claims of the paranormal, I'm almost sure he would have noticed a human figure in an area like this when he took the photo. The fact that HE was surprised when I showed him the picture, I think, lends some credence to the idea that it wasn't there when he took it! :sk
    Photo
    Ghost Investigator
    Apr 16 2008 02:43 AM
    I've been to Eastern State Pen (I'm wearing that T-shirt right now as a matter of fact...hahaha) several times (I'm originally from Philly). It's easy to miss people looking in windows when youre in the cell blocks looking around and trying to feel for ghosts/energy as most windows are so small and thats not where my attention is usually drawn to. Especially when I'm taking pictures. . . Good shot but cant say either way whether it's a ghost or not.
    Photo
    ghosthunterjosh
    Apr 16 2008 03:32 PM
    it looks realy solid almost life like. i to also think it may have been a man or boy on the other side of the glass. it does not look like a reflection to me. because it would be blured if it was. ( and its not ).